Thursday 4 November 2010

Miunis Birthday: Zigger scares a monster :Monsoon soaking

Today, Monday November 1st is Miuni's 9th Birthday
She is the daughter of the hotel manager and Zigger is anxiously waiting to see if he will get some chocolate birthday cake- NO way! picture at end of the blog.
Amaya, Miunis 3 year old sister has been waiting all day with the cake ready for her sister to return from school. Having got a tuk tuk into the town to get some bangles for Miuni and some packs to blow bubbles I was caught in a monsoon downpour that the staff have been promising for days. I actually enjoyed the process of getting soaking wet, despite my little umbrella, and drying out again. Zigger was not so pleased and when we returned we found the staff mopping the balcony to stop the rain flooding into my bedroom.

Zigger guards his mistress against a monster.
Last night after dinner Zigger was barking as if a gangster was in the bedrioom - and scared away a big cockroach - at least 2 inches long , well at least 1.5 inches . 
now that Skype and internet connections are sorted I really look forward to talking to friends in UK. and its great when we can see each other. What  magic it is over 6000 miles to see people in their homes and be able to show them where I am.   When Zigger recognized the  voice of a much loved friend he  charged round the room searching for her .He cant make sense of the video so he was convinced he could find her if he looked  long enough. Here he is begging to be allowed down to the sea..

Spreading the word
Ive had many interesting convesations with people in the street and in cafes who ask about the dog and what we are doing here so I'm already pubicising the new centre though I'm a bit vague about what will actually be happening there  there of course.
A few tourist were around at the weekend - townies come down to the sea for a break but there are only a few holiday makers in Hikkduwa at this time of year. All the beachfront cafes are cleaning and repairing ready for what they hope will be a prosperous season at the end of the month.
When I visited in February I talked to a tourist staying a few doors away who was walking the owner of her room 's cocker spaniel. She was concerned that the dog was not taken out.
I saw the dog yesterday -chained up in a cage set into the wall- a very sad creature indeed. left by an English couple several years ago and apparently hostile to Sri  Lankans but he seemed friendly enough to me. At least he looked healthy and well fed. I had to stop myself from wanting to offer to take him.

Talking
Talking to a young man this morning who is attracted by adverts from UK about training colleges  which say they can find well paid jobs in UK  to do while studying I felt ashamed at the misleading information. 5 pounds an hour sounds really good to someone who pays 10p for a loaf of bread here, and some of the 'colleges' sounded very dubious to me.
So how to be encouraging his ambition to further his career in the hotel and catering business and yet warn him not to trust and tell him how people can use cheap labour for their own gain. One young man lost  hard earned money to an agent for a place in a uk college only to find he couldn't get a visa or of course his money back

Singing
Hulla beenies will be interested to know that Twinkle Twinkle little star and Row Row Row the Boat are  known by every one as they are taught in primary school. Not sure if Kirsty wil be able to fit those into the repertoire. 
When I mention singing and the choir these are the songs that people begin. And that's great cos at least I know the words to them! Indeed  I now know the words to several Hullabaloo songs now as I'm regularly singing along to the old box net files on my IPOD.

TheTsunami is ever present
I'm walking around observing and seeing what a great deal of help might be appreciated here.
The  constant roar of the waves crashing and the constant tearing away at the more fragile beach front properties is a reminder of the Tsunami. People never talk about it until awhile into the conversation as they tell me about their families and recall  their lost relatives and how they cope and look after the surviving children.

Do keep sending me news about  yourselves. The best radio reception from UK is on FM 107
serving East Grinstead and surrounding areas - I was delighted and not a little amused to hear that on Saturday not only Morris dancing but Ferret racing would be a big attraction.
So what I learn and listen too and absorb is a weird miscellany of sometime mysterious and sometime magical information and I'm fascinated by it all and genuinely feel privelaged to be doing what I'm doing even though I've no clear idea of what that might be.

PS.
Now its thursday 4th nov . I'm learning how to get the pics onto the blog - im very slow at it.
This week Ive  frequented a cafe selling Italian Americano and delicious iced coffee.

Ive been to Galle in a tuk tuk with zigger on my knee. astonishment all round - hes a very unusual dog for Sri Lanka. My packet of papers to allow me to get on with my uk tax returns arrived and was promptly stuck under the bed!  I seem to be getting more energy every day and finding more ways of coping with the humidity and heat . All in all its a good learning experience and I can see how the centre  will be able to offer a good service to the community here. Looking now for regular  sponsorship in small quantities to ensure that Singalese volunteers who will help with interpreting can be given at least a lunch and travel costs. 
So thats all for now. Enjoy bonfire night in UK.Im thinking of sitting in my camper van with Zigger,on the Race hill looking over to Lewes and seeing all the fireworks and  eating fish and chips.  
We have another public holiday here on 5th nov - wonder if thats a throw back from British colonial times? - no one seems to know what the holiday is for. Everyone concentratin on getting prepared for the tourist season with repairs and painting and clearing the beach.  
I look forward every day to the emails and Skype calls so keep em comin!
love from Eddi and Zigger.;

http://www.eddigoeseast.com/http://www.eddigoeseast.com/

1 comment:

  1. pps someone has pointed out that I sound as if I dont know what i will be doing !! "Well thats nothing new" I can hear some people say. Of course my current task is to find out what local people want me to do and until i sort that out i wont really know any details. However it looks like a singing group for women at a refuge is a possibility and an Enlish conversation group for teenage boys already has 3 parents interested people interested. Im goig to meet 2 possible volunteers to be interpreters for that next week. It all feela a bit hit and miss but empowerment projects allways do ! x Eddi

    ReplyDelete